Re: [Hampshire] Linux problems

Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux problems
On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:48:42PM +0000, drystan mazur wrote:

> Hello I have 2 questions I wonder if anyone could help me with ?

Best to have *unrelated* questions as separate posts, I think ..

> In file included
> from /home/drystan/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.2.1/ath/ah_osdep.c:2:
> /home/drystan/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.2.1/ath/../hal/linux/ah_osdep.c:44:26:
> error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory

Here you're seeing the error "linux/config.h: No such file or
directory".

This is a file contained in the Linux kernel source, which is
generated when your kernel is built. Typically you will have this
file if you :

    a) Build your kernel from source.

    b) Install the relevant kernel development package for your
     distribution - which *must* match the kernel version you're
     building against.

As an example the file would usually contain something *similar*
to this:

#define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.16.33"
#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132624
#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

Upon my Debian system, for example, I have "linux-image-2.6-amd64"
installed which provides my kernel, and "linux-kernel-headers" which
contains the file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h which is
the file that you're missing.

Posting your distribution name/version might get people using
it to help.

> 2: when using SSH if my public key is in the authusied keys folder I
> should not need a password to log into the server ? Is this correct
> because I copied the file in but I still need a password

Usually, unless the server is setup to ignore public keys (unlikely)
or the permissions on the file/directory are wrong.

Connect from your system with:

    ssh -v -v username@host

This will show you lots of debugging information, some of which
might point out the problem ..

Steve