[Hampshire] Hi, and some stuff going free

Author: Rob
To: Hampshire
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] Hi, and some stuff going free
Hi,
Just thought I'd join up, pop in and introduce myself and try and
offload some gear
(apologies if its sounding a bit spammy so far....)

I moved from Bristol to Gosport about 3 years ago, running Linux for a
while now (mainly interested in running services from my home BB
connection www/mail/ftp etc..)
I host a few sites for mates/family that sort of stuff
I'm quite into Slackware as my chosen distro and was kind of into more
retro hardware

I am still a member (lurker?) of the Bristol and Bath Lug list, but
those guys are a bit too far away really for the meets now

When I was in Bristol I used to work in a PC shop that did quite a lot
of salvage work and I seemed to always find something that would "come
in handy one day"
The shop used to host "Linux days" occasionally - usually free dognuts
and coffee and some retro obscure hardware going for donations towards
to day - never managed to really turn it into a full on installfest -
but attendence was always good and it got rid of some of the stuff the
boss used to call "crap" and I used to call "hens teeth" ;-)
(managed to populate a few VAX Sparc stations and Indigo's to the BBLUG)

It's time for me to offload some of the remaining stuff that for some
odd reason I actually boxed up and moved to Hampsire with and would like
to offer some of it here if there are any takers?

For example - I am struggling to come to terms that I do not /really/
need the IBM RISC System/6000 E20 sat here (somewhere I do have AIX CD's)
IIRC there is no graphics card - but last time I played with it, it
worked fine down serial for the install/config - think a drive died so
became a redundant toy - anyone for smit?

I also have some graphics cards for Sun sparc's lurking somewhere,

Theres also a couple of pci Adaptec 1200A raid controllers , Promise
Ultra 66's
I must also have at least 6x low end Pentiums that TBH I'm never going
to get round to finding uses for - when I'm perfectly happy with my 486
as a firewall :-p
I am dreading going into the loft! as that's where most of it just got
stuffed the day we moved

I will try and get a comprehensive list together if that would be OK?

I have just joined up to the Gosport freecycle list so the fax machines
etc will end up on there - but I thaught that perhaps someone on here
may like a "spare" of something

I work in Gosport at a PC repair/shop doing callouts/repairs round the
area but have next week off as I'm trying to get some DIY done on "the
house that Jack built"- so collection of some of the stuff would
seriously help me get on with things
If there is a local meet happening soon ish - is there anyone local that
would want to pick some of it up and take along?

Regards
Robin