Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
Fintan Gaughan wrote:

> My question is that i was able to access squirrelmail from work but i
> could not ssh to my server.. could it be the IT staff blocked the
> ports or have i set it up wrong?
> I know about port forwarding on my router.

Quite possibly they only permission certain ports, namely 80 and 443,
for most users.

If you want to use any other port you will probably need to ask
permission of the person that supports your firewall.

I am sure there are better ways of doing this, and no doubt I will draw
flak for even uttering this url, but try 'Shields Up' at www.grc.com to
see if port 22 is open on your firewall. If it is, make sure that
traffic directed to it is forwarded to port 22* on your ssh server. Get
a mate to try and ssh to your box from a machine outside of your network
and not [hobbled | protected] by a corporate firewall. They don't need
to log in, just get the appropriate response from your server that tells
you it is accessible from the outside world.

Sean

* of course it does not have to be port 22, but rather whatever port
your ssh server is listening on