Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: James Ashburner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Fintan Gaughan wrote:
>> My question is that i was able to access squirrelmail from work but i
>> could not ssh to my server.. could it be the IT staff blocked the
>> ports or have i set it up wrong?
>> I know about port forwarding on my router.
>
> Quite possibly they only permission certain ports, namely 80 and 443,
> for most users.
>
> If you want to use any other port you will probably need to ask
> permission of the person that supports your firewall.
>
> I am sure there are better ways of doing this, and no doubt I will draw
> flak for even uttering this url, but try 'Shields Up' at www.grc.com to
> see if port 22 is open on your firewall. If it is, make sure that
> traffic directed to it is forwarded to port 22* on your ssh server. Get
> a mate to try and ssh to your box from a machine outside of your network
> and not [hobbled | protected] by a corporate firewall. They don't need
> to log in, just get the appropriate response from your server that tells
> you it is accessible from the outside world.
>
> Sean
>
> * of course it does not have to be port 22, but rather whatever port
> your ssh server is listening on

It may also be the case that all Internet traffic is allowed only
through a proxy server. You can SSH through a proxy server, but once
again if the port is blocked you won't get through. I've not done this
on a Linux machine (strictly Windows at work so far) but it's easy
enough to do in Putty.

James