Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57938100.hantslug.org.uk.22370': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Mar 24 09:41:56 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
All,

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 at 11:10:09PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:

> May I plead that at least some of the speakers remember those of who are, I
> think the term now is, differently abled? I concede to none in my liking for
> Tux, and the Hants Lug logo is explicit and does what it says on the tin. (1)
> But please, please could say 2 of you out of 8 give me (and perhaps one or
> two others) a real treat and have black print on a white ground? [Bitstream
> Vera Sans is best ;-) ]

My advice, and that of the RNIB and my University where I trained is the
following.

* Black or dark background
* Pale and/or yellow text
* Large sans-serif font
* No more than three or four points per slide
* No transition effects or other such non-sense
* No text over a background image or pattern: plain background

Yellow text on a plain black background* is the RNIB's recommendation and
many public signs, e.g. bus destination boards, now use this combination.

The Dyslexia associations and others also generally recommend a sans-serif
font as easier to read. Many office programs now default to a sans-serif
and most web sites tend to use them now, but older sites and apps still
use serif fonts as default. Good screen fonts are Microsoft's Verdana
and Arial (both free to use under Linux), Bitstream's Vera Sans and
the derivative Deja Vu Sans are usable free/open alternatives.

As a general rule stick to only 3-4 "type faces", e.g. one base font at
one size, one larger typeface same font, and bold and italic of the
same font. Likewise avoid too many colours.

Obviously if you have only 3-5 bullet points per slide the font will
be large and readable. With very large fonts watch out for funny line
spacing so you should probably not justify any text.

Avoid anything distracting, so no animation or transition effects, and
text over the top of any image or pattern is a big no-no.

* While black on white is popular, it shows up any dirt on the lens or
screen, and is regarded by the experts (i.e. people not in marketing)
as harder to read than the reverse. Additionally light on dark projects
better if the room can't be made fully dark.

My humble 2p.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"Norton Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files.  This
 provides more security than wiping with decimal values."
    -- from the manual of Norton Systemworks 2002, pg 160