Re: [Hampshire] [OT] StickWiki (was Record keeping (was: Rem…

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] StickWiki (was Record keeping (was: Remove or not.))
On Saturday 24 March 2007 00:54, Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???> [2007-03-23

23:16]:
> > I used TiddlyWiki in the end - put all my Linux notes on it today
> > while waiting for the car to be MoT'ed. I can't imagine making
> > notes any other way now. If you're interested a copy is at
> >
> > www.salisburys.net/PetersNotes-TW.html
> >
> > I used TW because it allows free tagging. I modified the source
> > slightly to allow the backup system have a limit to the number of
> > files it saves but otherwise it's as it came. I still can't quite
> > believe it's a single file - perhaps that's why no-one's bothered
> > to package it for Debian!
>
> ** end quote [Peter Salisbury]
>
> Looks interesting, it's a shame ther is next to no documentation -
> unless I'm being really tired and dense. I've downloaded it and
> even though I get input boxes up (well that's what they seem to be)
> I can type nothing into them. So far I've not found any refernce to
> required Apache configuration changes, permissions on the file
> and/or directories or anything that may give me a clue. If it
> worked it may have potential!

Have a look at http://www.tiddlywiki.com/ which has lots of helpful
info (all set in a TiddlyWiki in the best traditions of bootstraps of
course!). There's a really good 3rd party technical manual at:

http://knighjm.googlepages.com/knightnet-default-tw.html#Reference

But to be honest the fact that you, by definition, get the source
included with the single file means the source ends up being the best
technical documentation.

One thing that caught me out was that iceweasel's 'File/Save Page As'
doesn't save the whole page. That means if you're looking at
someone's TW and use iceweasel to download it you don't get a working
wiki. Details are on the TW web site but apparently iceweasel/firefox
only saves a snapshot of the current state of the page rather than
the whole thing, thus losing some of the JavaScript. Could that
explain your non-functional input boxes?

HTH, Peter