Re: [Hampshire] [OT] StickWiki (was Record keeping (was: Rem…

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] StickWiki (was Record keeping (was: Remove or not.))
** Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???> [2007-03-24 08:49]:
> On Saturday 24 March 2007 00:54, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > ** Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???> [2007-03-23
> 23:16]:
> > > I used TiddlyWiki in the end - put all my Linux notes on it today
> > > while waiting for the car to be MoT'ed. I can't imagine making
> > > notes any other way now. If you're interested a copy is at
> > >
> > > www.salisburys.net/PetersNotes-TW.html
> > >
> > > I used TW because it allows free tagging. I modified the source
> > > slightly to allow the backup system have a limit to the number of
> > > files it saves but otherwise it's as it came. I still can't quite
> > > believe it's a single file - perhaps that's why no-one's bothered
> > > to package it for Debian!
> > ** end quote [Peter Salisbury]
> >
> > Looks interesting, it's a shame ther is next to no documentation -
> > unless I'm being really tired and dense. I've downloaded it and
> > even though I get input boxes up (well that's what they seem to be)
> > I can type nothing into them. So far I've not found any refernce to
> > required Apache configuration changes, permissions on the file
> > and/or directories or anything that may give me a clue. If it
> > worked it may have potential!
>
> Have a look at http://www.tiddlywiki.com/ which has lots of helpful
> info (all set in a TiddlyWiki in the best traditions of bootstraps of
> course!). There's a really good 3rd party technical manual at:
>
> http://knighjm.googlepages.com/knightnet-default-tw.html#Reference
>
> But to be honest the fact that you, by definition, get the source
> included with the single file means the source ends up being the best
> technical documentation.
>
> One thing that caught me out was that iceweasel's 'File/Save Page As'
> doesn't save the whole page. That means if you're looking at
> someone's TW and use iceweasel to download it you don't get a working
> wiki. Details are on the TW web site but apparently iceweasel/firefox
> only saves a snapshot of the current state of the page rather than
> the whole thing, thus losing some of the JavaScript. Could that
> explain your non-functional input boxes?

** end quote [Peter Salisbury]

I've worked out my problem, I think. I was treating it as a web
application since it was a wiki and installing it on my web server -
hence expecting something more to do to configure it to allow saving and
not finding anything documented. What it fails, as far as I can see, to
make clear is that you need to access it via a file:/// URL to be able
to edit it. That sort of half defeats the point for me I'm afraid. Web
based needs zero client configuration - file based means I have to
configure some means of mounting the appropriate network resourse to be
able to edit it. Ah well...

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/
Aptanet Ltd. | Registered in England | Company No: 4905028