Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57307100.hantslug.org.uk.15646': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 25 11:50:50 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Saturday 24 March 2007 23:14, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 04:34:48PM +0000, Graeme Hilton wrote:
> > I can't remember the number of times I've been in a meeting and
> > someone has put up a slide that is totally incomprehensible from a
> > distance of 3 metres, and I don't have any vision problems beyond
> > weak reading glasses.
>
> At the recent UKUUG spring conference, someone put up a slide with a
> screenshot of their terminal in it at normal terminal size for them
> sitting a few feet away! It had a black background and red and blue
> "highlighted" text. "You probably can't read that," he said..
> well.. quite. what was the point?

In my academic past I use to go to conferences a lot and people would put up
slides and say "you probably can't read this" a lot. I always thought it was
the most stupid thing to do.

Another annoying trick was to put up a slide with no content on
like "Introduction". Sometimes it's useful to have slides that have little
content on them to pace the talk, but if it just says "Introduction" and the
person says "The Introduction" and then moves to the next slide what is the
point?

Now for my sins I now work in industry and I see lots of corporate slides all
the time and they are almost exclusively awful:

* White background
* Too many bullet points
* Inconsistent fonts and font sizes
* Text obscuring background logos (because there are too many points)
* Meaningless intermediate slides
* Transitions and other stupid effects
* Too many colours
* Use of too much stock clip art

Making a good slide comes down to keeping things simple. It's not rocket
science.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I never really understood how there could be things that would
drive you insane just because you knew them until I ran into Windows.
    -- anon