Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu rtc on UTC?

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu rtc on UTC?
Hmmmmm.

Things are not quite as they seem.

I'd already tried all the other things, which seem to indicate the
hwclock and system clock are both declared "BST", but running still at
UTC, i.e., the time is an hour behind.

Running tzconfig and changing the zone to London (as it already was),
reports rtc as 1h behind system clock, which suggests that the timezone
is changing OK, so I'm a liel puzzled why hwclcok reports the same
whether or not I use the --utc switch and my system clock is still an
hour out.

ahhh .. hwclock's man page says it always reports local time however the
switches are set. Has that changed? I was sure clock and/or hwclock
reported othewise.

It looks to me like it's physically changed the hwclock by one hour.
Maybe it expect _me_ to change the hwclock with summetime. I don't think
I've _ever_ had to do that on a Unix-type system before.

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Andy Smith wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 01:21:15PM +0100, Gordon Scott wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how to make Ubuntu behave like unix and recognise that
> > the rtc is on UTC. not localtime?
>
> I'd dispute the idea that "UNIX should be on localtime"; my machines
> are on UTC because I prefer it[1] not because they are UNIX-like,
> however..

I think maybe you misunderstood me. IMHO Unix _should_ be on UTC. The
only systems I've ever knowingly set up otherwise were in India, where
the timezone is UTC+5:30 and the SCO-SVR4 systems we were using didn't
understand half-hour timezones.

> try running tzconfig as root.

That didn't fix it but might have given the clue. I'll set the hardware
clock manually and see if it does "the right thing"(TM) in October.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.