Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5863f100.hantslug.org.uk.16377': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 25 13:47:56 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 25 March 2007 12:08, Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Sunday 25 March 2007 11:50, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > Now for my sins I now work in industry and I see lots of corporate slides
> > all the time and they are almost exclusively awful:
> >
> > * White background
>
> What's wrong with a white background? I've seen people comment
> about wanting white text on black, but I've always found black text
> on white is *much* easier to read (the exception is terminal windows,
> where I find coloured text on black is easier than coloured text on
> white, and the colours provide enough useful information to make it
> worthwhile).
>
> Various books on design I've read have always suggested black on
> white as being most readable as well.

Yellow text on a black background is easiest to read from a distance. Bus and
train destination boards use to be black on a white background, but after
some research they changed this to to yellow on black. I believe the RNIB
carried out a study which is where the advice comes from. Interestingly
people can read yellow on black at a distance better than white on black.

Personally I do find yellow on black easier to read, than dark text on a light
background. I also find that a white background shows dirt and marks on the
board an lens that a dark background hides.

I don't know if it's a resolution or distance effect, but remember that
printed text is at a resolution of 300dpi or greater, a typical VDU is
running at 100dpi, and a LCD projector is probably displaying text at a
feeble 10dpi.

From the RNIB:

http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/visugate/public_impsignvi.hcsp

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
but that's no reason not to give it
    -- Agatha Christie