Re: [Hampshire] Networking issue

Author: Philip Henderson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Networking issue
Luke Stutters wrote:
> Philip Henderson wrote:
> [various SNIPs]
>> My network connects to the outside world through a Netgear DG834GT
>> wireless router that provides DHCP and NAT. The network runs the
>> standard private 192.168.0.x IP range.
>> From the Netgear settings screen, under Attached Devices, all pcs
>> connected either cabled or wireless are listed showing IP address and
>> MAC address but only my debian server is identified correctly in the
>> Device Name column, the rest are shown as ‘unknown’.
>> I have looked at all the files I can think of on the debian server to
>> see if I am missing anything on the ubuntu server - /etc/hostname,
>> /etc/hosts, /etc/resolve.conf, and as a result added a few things. Am
>> I missing something? Strange thing is I am not sure why the debian
>> server is always listed fully.
>
> Are they both running the same services?

I'm sure there are many similar daemons running on both servers, isn't
this usual for 2 linux boxes? Any in particular that would cause a
problem? For instance the debain server is running apache 1.3 (although
not used), whereas the ubuntu server is running apache 2.0.

But would that prevent the router resolving the device name (hostname)?

>> Also, quite often when I go to the Attached Devices list my xp laptop
>> is listed by IP, Device Name and MAC, although when I refresh the
>> page the Device Name disappears and is listed as unknown. Why should
>> this be?
>
> Just getting into this myself, but is there a chance that there is a
> firewall on the laptop that stops the router requesting information?
> When the XP laptop acquires an address using DHCP, it probably sends
> the name information.

This seems very likely. I hadn't considered the xp firewall.