Re: [Hampshire] Unbranded graphics cards

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unbranded graphics cards
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:11:19AM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I need some information quickly - thought this list would be the best way.

Faster than a speeding email, the list jumps into action.

Quick quick troops! Video card down! Video card down!

I'll get the defibrilator.. etc

> As with another recent post, I want to upgrade my graphics card to dual head - found some absolutely brilliant software (ZoomTech) for blind people like me. Is it _always_ a mistake to buy unbranded graphics cards?

I would be more concerned that the nvidia driver supports your card than who
makes it. I have two NVidia 7900GTs in my desktop and have no idea who makes
them, but they work just fine for me.

If you are running Linux on it and using the binary NVidia driver you need
to look at the READMEs on their site to see whether the cards are supported
by the driver your distro uses.

NVidia have recently decided to make 3 versions of their unified driver, and
in the most recent video driver dropped support for a number of cards. This
annoyed quite a few users and there have been calls for (for example) Ubuntu
to support all three binary drivers, packaged in the repo.

> For example, Maplin have an Inno3D GeForce 6200 for £40
> Novatech have a Novatech GeForce FX5500 for £32.50

Ebuyer have a 7100GS PCI-E for 21.28 inc vat

> All this is based on the premise that the manufacturer's as important as the chipset - is that right?

Personally, I wouldn't care, but have never done a comparison.

Cheers,
Al.