Re: [Hampshire] Unbranded graphics cards

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unbranded graphics cards

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57b18100.hantslug.org.uk.29167': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 30 10:40:26 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:11:19AM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I need some information quickly - thought this list would be the best way.
>
> As with another recent post, I want to upgrade my graphics card to dual head - found some absolutely brilliant software (ZoomTech) for blind people like me. Is it _always_ a mistake to buy unbranded graphics cards?
>
> For example, Maplin have an Inno3D GeForce 6200 for £40
> Novatech have a Novatech GeForce FX5500 for £32.50
>
> I've never heard of Inno3D and don't necessarily trust Novatech's own brand (despite the 5 glowing reviews on their website). Am I being too picky and should just accept these as good deals - or should I pay more for a manufacturer I've heard of?
>
> All this is based on the premise that the manufacturer's as important as the chipset - is that right?

With graphics cards, 95% of the manufacturers are simply using the
reference designs from the chipset supplier. Then your only variables
are: quality of drivers (not a problem if you're running Linux),
quality of manufacture, and quality of discrete components
(e.g. cooling). In practice, the "Novatech" one will be built by some
whitebox manufacturer and rebranded, and will probably be the
self-same part as the "eBuyer" card, the "Dabs" card, the...

Generally unhelpful in answering your questions, I'm afraid, but I
hope it gives a slightly better background to view the question.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- Our so-called leaders speak/with words they try to jail ya/ ---
        They subjugate the meek/but it's the rhetoric of failure.