Re: [Hampshire] Re: Which NIC is which?

Author: Mike Burrows
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Which NIC is which?
On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 23:10 +0100, Vic wrote:
> > The sarge box will access the net via the router so long as eth1 is
> > down. However, when I bring eth1 up the box loses www connectivity.
>
> This usually means that bringing eth1 up changes your default route. If it
> does - you won't have access to networks outside your own LAN...
>
> Run "route -n" before & after bringing that interface up, and tell us if
> your default route changes.
>
> Vic.

I had subsequently noticed that I had included a default gateway address
it the file: /etc/network/interfaces

The secondary network interface
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.110
netmask     255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0

The system will now maintain connectivity with both interfaces up.
However...
When I plug eth1 into a router i can connect to another network (the
status light on the card lights) but when i connect straight to another
pc, i.e.

ISP

EXTIF
Sarge Box
INTIF

Client PC

the light doesn't work and the client can't ping INTIF. The proxy/NAT
page at http://www.aboutdebian.com/proxy.htm shows a hub between the
proxy server and the client. Is this essential or should my topology
work?

Cheers
Mike