Re: [Hampshire] Re: Which NIC is which?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Which NIC is which?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58584100.hantslug.org.uk.2823': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Apr 8 00:12:21 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 05:54:21PM -0500, Mike Burrows wrote:
> When I plug eth1 into a router i can connect to another network (the
> status light on the card lights) but when i connect straight to another
> pc, i.e.
>
> ISP
> |
> EXTIF
> Sarge Box
> INTIF
> |
> Client PC
>
> the light doesn't work and the client can't ping INTIF.

To directly connect two end network devices the cable has to be wired
differently.

You either need:

- a crossover cable (what you have is a straight through ethernet
cable)

- a hub / switch

- auto-MDIX ethernet cards on both ends; I think all gigabit cards
are auto-MDIX. auto-MDIX means it can sense which way it is
wired.

Cheers,
Andy