Re: [Hampshire] BBC Radio 4 - Open source

Author: Peter Brooks
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] BBC Radio 4 - Open source
On 13/04/07, alan c <aeclist@???> wrote:
> Peter Brooks wrote:
> >

> > On 12/04/07, *Graeme Hilton* <graeme.hilton@???
> > <mailto:graeme.hilton@fishter.org.uk>> wrote:
> >
> >     alan c wrote:
> >      > Graeme Hilton wrote:
> >      >> There's another program investigating the Open Source world,
> >     including
> >      >> a brief interview with FSF founder Richard Stallman.
> >      > I had difficulty following your links successfully.

> >     I was a bit quick off the mark with the email and they hadn't updated
> >     the website.  This is a better link:
> >     <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/z9ksy/
> >     <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/z9ksy/>>

> >     And the listen again link is:
> >     <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/opensource>

> >      > The program is so good that I have requested permission from bbc for
> >      > limited distribution rights for use at my Infopoint table at the
> >      > bracknell computer fairs.
> >      > (I await their reply).

> >     I'm sure there are a few people here who'd be interested to know how
> >     that goes.

> >     --
> >     Graeme Hilton

> >     --
> >     Please post to: Hampshire@???
> >     <mailto:Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk>

> > I'd really like to see the bbc at least experiment with open source
> > streaming, it's not like ogg streaming is hard to do and would satisfy
> > us fussy nuts. ;)
>
> The guardian Technology section just published
>
> Finding the music format of the future
> http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2054398,00.html
>
> but there was no comment at all on OGG
>
> I emailed back with a question about this lack.
> --
> alan cocks
> Kubuntu user#10391

There does seem to be a distinct lack of interest about ogg, even
though it provides the absolute quality of the audiophiles.
I was shocked to hear on the first open source r4 discussion them
claiming that there was no viable open source streaming standard,
icecast (and relative encoder) is proof that it works.

Though I only recently realised that ogg also supports video, it's
filled with such niceties.