Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] X is sick
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:59:53 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> Personally I'd suggest the *first* thing we should do is see what
> Mikes /etc/apt/sources.list looks like. I'd bet it's got missing
> repos and as such dependencies could not be fulfilled.

the only line needed in /etc/apt/sources.list is

deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian stable main contrib non-free

and even the last two items can be left out. The mirror of course
should be a 'local' one.

> I have never had much luck with aptitude, it has broken systems
> twice for me so i leave it well alone and only use apt now.

Aptitude is just fine IMHO and is the default in Debian Etch. I have
been using it for several years on Debian Sid and yes packages do
break but aptitude tries to find a solution. Currently there are
severely broken packages in Sid, aptitude cannot work out a
solution so suggests leaving packages in current state.

As far as Mike is concerned I would have installed a 2.6.8 series
kernel and aptitude before attempting to update from sarge to etch.
Then done an aptitude update before attempting the aptitude
dist-upgrade.

I have done this several times in the past when I only had the sarge
net-inst CD and wanted to upgrade to testing.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application