Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] X is sick
On Monday 23 April 2007 13:45, Mike Burrows wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 09:35:48AM +0100, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> >>As long as the machine is booting there are definitely other
> >> options. As a first priority you need to get aptitude installed,
> >> even if it means using 'sarge' in your sources.list instead of
> >> 'stable' while you sort that out.
> >
> >Personally I'd suggest the *first* thing we should do is see what
> > Mikes /etc/apt/sources.list looks like. I'd bet it's got missing
> > repos and as such dependencies could not be fulfilled.
> >
> >I have never had much luck with aptitude, it has broken systems
> > twice for me so i leave it well alone and only use apt now.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Al.
>
> Well I think the crisis is averted at least for now and the kernel
> is still installed :-)

Yay!

> Like Adam, I haven't had a huge amount of success with aptitude and
> so is desperation (actually necessity coz aptitude had been
> removed) I did an upgrade using apt. It re-installed a bunch of
> packages, which in turn appeared to satisfy the kernel dependencies
> as it no longer wants to remove it :) I manged to get the X server
> installed also but no surprises I can't start it.
> Bottom line seems to be a missing core pointer. However, the
> entries in the conf file are identical to previous ones that did
> work and I have tried a whole bunch of googled others that don't
> work either. I am using a logitec optical usb mouse (which the
> system recognises when I modprobe "usbmouse".) The module isn't
> installing automatically on boot.

If you have udev installed and running it should handle loading the
module via /etc/udev/hotplug.rules which duplicates the old hotplug
behaviour.

Your mouse vendor/product id will need to be matched by the usbmouse
module. depmod puts all the recognised ids into the usbmap, check
using:

grep usbmouse /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.usbmap

If all else fails you can add usbmouse to /etc/modules

> Questions then:
>
> 1. Am I correct in thinking XF86Config-4 has been superseded?

Xorg looks for /etc/X11/xorg.conf but IIRC will use XF86 as a
fallback.

> 2. Does anybody have a working usb mouse on Etch (at least , I
> think its etch because my sources list is drawing from stable now)
>
> 3. Could someone port a working conf file for xorg.

Here's mine:

Section "Files"
# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
#    FontPath   "unix/:7100"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath    "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath    "/usr/local/share/fonts"
EndSection

Section "Module"
# nv only
#       Load    "dri"

# nvidia only
        Load    "glx"

# both
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "v4l"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP
8x]"
# nv
#       Driver          "nv"
# nvidia
        Driver          "nvidia"
# PBCS (For hibernation need one of 0,1)
        Option          "NvAGP"         "1"
EndSection

#Section "DRI"
#       Mode    0666
#EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option          "Composite"     "Enable"
        Option          "RENDER"        "Enable"
        Option          "RenderAccel"   "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
#       Option          "Device"                "/dev/mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "CMC 17 AD"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       30-82
        VertRefresh     50-75
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP
8x]"
        Monitor         "CMC 17 AD"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24

Modes           "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

> 4. Could someone post a definitive sources list.

Here's mine:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# apt-move mirror
deb file:/Disks/Removable/USBDisk2/mirrors/debian/ unstable main
contrib non-free

# my own repository
deb file:/Disks/Removable/USBDisk2/mirrors/pbcs ./

# Debian stable
#deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main

# Debian testing
#deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main

# Debian unstable
deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

# Debian experimental - BEWARE!
#deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ experimental main

#for mplayer,acroread,realplayer,panotools,hugin
#deb http://debian.three-dimensional.net/debian-multimedia sid main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org unstable main

#for cinelerra
#deb http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/sid ./