Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57b0d100.hantslug.org.uk.12785': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Apr 23 14:02:22 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 07:45:10AM -0500, Mike Burrows wrote:
> Well I think the crisis is averted at least for now and the kernel is
> still installed :-)
>
> Like Adam, I haven't had a huge amount of success with aptitude and so
> is desperation (actually necessity coz aptitude had been removed)
> I did an upgrade using apt. It re-installed a bunch of packages, which
> in turn appeared to satisfy the kernel dependencies
> as it no longer wants to remove it :) I manged to get the X server
> installed also but no surprises I can't start it.
> Bottom line seems to be a missing core pointer. However, the entries in
> the conf file are identical to previous ones that did work
> and I have tried a whole bunch of googled others that don't work either.
> I am using a logitec optical usb mouse (which the system recognises when
> I modprobe "usbmouse".) The module isn't installing automatically on boot.
> Questions then:
>
> 1. Am I correct in thinking XF86Config-4 has been superseded?

Yes. Use xorg.conf instead.

> 2. Does anybody have a working usb mouse on Etch (at least , I think
> its etch because my sources list is drawing from stable now)

Yes, stable == etch. USB mice are pretty much standard now, and
will generally work with anything.

> 3. Could someone port a working conf file for xorg.

sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
       --- Someone's been throwing dead sheep down my Fun Well ---