Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

Alan Pope wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 09:35:48AM +0100, Peter Salisbury wrote:
>

>>As long as the machine is booting there are definitely other options.
>>As a first priority you need to get aptitude installed, even if it
>>means using 'sarge' in your sources.list instead of 'stable' while
>>you sort that out.
>>

>Personally I'd suggest the *first* thing we should do is see what Mikes
>/etc/apt/sources.list looks like. I'd bet it's got missing repos and as such
>dependencies could not be fulfilled.
>
>I have never had much luck with aptitude, it has broken systems twice for me
>so i leave it well alone and only use apt now.
>
>Cheers,
>Al.

Well I think the crisis is averted at least for now and the kernel is
still installed :-)

Like Adam, I haven't had a huge amount of success with aptitude and so
is desperation (actually necessity coz aptitude had been removed)
I did an upgrade using apt. It re-installed a bunch of packages, which
in turn appeared to satisfy the kernel dependencies
as it no longer wants to remove it :) I manged to get the X server
installed also but no surprises I can't start it.
Bottom line seems to be a missing core pointer. However, the entries in
the conf file are identical to previous ones that did work
and I have tried a whole bunch of googled others that don't work either.
I am using a logitec optical usb mouse (which the system recognises when
I modprobe "usbmouse".) The module isn't installing automatically on boot.
Questions then:

1. Am I correct in thinking XF86Config-4 has been superseded?

2. Does anybody have a working usb mouse on Etch (at least , I think
its etch because my sources list is drawing from stable now)

3. Could someone port a working conf file for xorg.

4. Could someone post a definitive sources list.

Not much to ask really :-)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Mike