Re: [Hampshire] Random shutdowns (Ubuntu 7.04)

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Random shutdowns (Ubuntu 7.04)
Hi,

On Sun, Apr 29 at 04:26, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm suffering an apparently random shutdown which could be to do with many possibilities - can someone check my logic. The machine is very new - and highly enough specified (Sempron, 768Mb RAM) but has exhibited a couple of problems. It's now running Ubuntu 7.04 (recently upgraded from 6.06 to 6.10, then to 7.04) but none of these recent upgrades have causes these problems. [On a related note - full marks to Ubuntu for their upgrades - no problems whatsoever and it even kept my large fonts which I promise is a real Godsend]. Anyway, back to the plot:

Please learn to wrap lines. It would make responses a lot easier to cleanup.

How new is this machine. ie has it run reliably before or could this be a
manufacturing/assembly fault ?

I ask because I have seen systems with overheat/shutdown problems because
the CPU heatsink has been installed incorrectly by a ham fisted assembler
(my boss at the time). Some heatsinks while appearing symmetrical have a
step cut down one side to clear raised parts of the CPU socket. It's
possible to fit them the wrong way around in which case they don't make
proper contact with the CPU which then overheats.

As for the "GConf server is not in use, shutting down" I think this might
be a red herring. It's a fairly common log entry on systems that use
Gconf during an untidy system shutdown whatever the cause.

> Last thoughts - if I need to buy a new fan - never having done so in my life - what sort of things do I look for - should I buy one that connects to the motherboard, or one that goes straight to the power supply?

CPU fans would usually be plugged into the motherboard to allow the system
to monitor fan operation and speed. Some modern motherboards even allow
for fan speed control.

ps. Expansion slots that are not in use should normally be covered rather
    than left open.  Extra holes *may* divert airflow from it's planned
    course worsening rather than improving cooling.

--
        Bob Dunlop