Re: [Hampshire] Random shutdowns (Ubuntu 7.04)

Author: Tim B - Systems
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Random shutdowns (Ubuntu 7.04)
On Sunday 29 April 2007 16:26, Rob Malpass wrote:
> I'm suffering an apparently random shutdown ... <cut> ...highly enough

specified (Sempron, 768Mb RAM)

768MB is I assume made of 512+256. It might be worth your while running
memtest. I had some funny problems with memory a day or two ago. A brief
synopsis of my problem was:

Pair of 1GB DRR2 cards checked perfectly on first (MSI) motherboard (which had
a dodgy PCI BUS)

Experienced strange problems with the OS on a new (ASROCK) motherboard.

Same pair failed in new motherboard but checked out ok individually.

Solution: Fiddle with the RAM settings in bios until you get no errors from
memtest. I ended up lowering the voltage, now they are fine.

If you've bought this machine then you have the luxury of walking it back to
the shop. If it is a ram problem, try it with just one card in.

--
Tim Brocklehurst Marine Design