[Hampshire] ADSL unstable line

Author: Damian Lajos Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] ADSL unstable line
Hi List

Has anyone experienced a situation where an ADSL line has become
unstable after a speed increase - say from down/up 1024/256 to roughly
8000/800.

The provider is Demon and the router is a Belkin. The error from the
router is 'LCP negotiation'. This can continue for about 15 minutes
before the line re-connects. There is a similar problem when we use a
Netgear DG###### instead but slightly worse as the router never
re-connects even when we have 'connect on demand' set as we have with
the Belkin. The Netgear requires a cold reboot.

The owner of the line has contacted Demon to ask them to reduce the
speed back to pre-throttled line speed. They have not been able to do
this yet, the line is still unstable. The worst times are during the
weekdays when the exchange is busy and we are not 100% sure but rainy
days are suspect.

I have advised a purchase of a new modem / router but the equipment will
not be available until later in May and we want to be sure before
spending cash.

We are 99.99% certain this is not the caused by internal services - I
want to capture a tcpdump from the main server as the router disconnects
just in case.

Has anyone managed to arrange with an ISP a thorough line check? and if
so how? (the normal ticket has been raised but the response is watery so
far and passed to BT or lost in a support loop for weeks now).

TIA

Damian B

--
Damian Brasher