Re: [Hampshire] ADSL unstable line

Author: Damian Lajos Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ADSL unstable line
On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 16:01 +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 09:23:28PM +0100, Damian Lajos Brasher wrote:
> > Has anyone experienced a situation where an ADSL line has become
> > unstable after a speed increase - say from down/up 1024/256 to roughly
> > 8000/800.
>
> > The provider is Demon and the router is a Belkin. The error from the
> > router is 'LCP negotiation'. This can continue for about 15 minutes
> > before the line re-connects. There is a similar problem when we use a
> > Netgear DG###### instead but slightly worse as the router never
> > re-connects even when we have 'connect on demand' set as we have with
> > the Belkin. The Netgear requires a cold reboot.
>
> Interesting. The DG834 is a tolerant router and often used by ISPs when
> lines are a bit dodgy.

Sure - the best diagnostics out of the two but does not re-connect.

> What speed does the BT checker think he can get out of MAX? If it's
> only 1 or 2 meg it's generally not worth getting MAX.

I will pass on some of the information here - many thanks.

> There's no money in providing ADSL and interacting with BT Wholesale is
> a painfully slow and time consuming business so most ISPs will not
> provide great support here. Also ISPs are stuck between customers who
> insist that "nothing has changed" when in fact they've plugged more kit
> onto their phone line and BT who insist it's always the end-user's
> fault. Weeks without an update is a bit rubbish though.

A real pain sometimes. I had to install 12-15 (lost count) new lines
over 2 years for my job before last - near nightmare.

> Also whilst talking about MAX, John Hunt said he only got 512kb/s out of
> his MAX line. This is entirely possible to begin with or if you have
> any issues syncing as a low sync quickly brings down the average sync
> rate. See http://www.aaisp.net.uk/maxmagic.html for more info on how
> MAX works and the difference between sync rates and the data rate.
>
> My best guess though would be that your friend's line is marginal for
> MAX and that downgrading is sane.

I agree. Will know more later in the week - the Belkin has tolerable reconnection
success for now.

Damian Brasher
www.interlinux.co.uk