Re: [Hampshire] ADSL unstable line

Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ADSL unstable line
On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 09:23:28PM +0100, Damian Lajos Brasher wrote:
> Has anyone experienced a situation where an ADSL line has become
> unstable after a speed increase - say from down/up 1024/256 to roughly
> 8000/800.

> The provider is Demon and the router is a Belkin. The error from the
> router is 'LCP negotiation'. This can continue for about 15 minutes
> before the line re-connects. There is a similar problem when we use a
> Netgear DG###### instead but slightly worse as the router never
> re-connects even when we have 'connect on demand' set as we have with
> the Belkin. The Netgear requires a cold reboot.

Interesting. The DG834 is a tolerant router and often used by ISPs when
lines are a bit dodgy.

> The owner of the line has contacted Demon to ask them to reduce the
> speed back to pre-throttled line speed. They have not been able to do
> this yet, the line is still unstable. The worst times are during the
> weekdays when the exchange is busy and we are not 100% sure but rainy
> days are suspect.

> I have advised a purchase of a new modem / router but the equipment
> will not be available until later in May and we want to be sure before
> spending cash.

Well the microfilter is the first thing to check/replace but it's
possible that it's just marginal for ADSL Max where your friend is.

What speed does the BT checker think he can get out of MAX? If it's
only 1 or 2 meg it's generally not worth getting MAX.

Have you tried the router as the only thing on the line (no other phones
etc) and in the master socket? That's the only configuration that BT
will check.

> Has anyone managed to arrange with an ISP a thorough line check? and
> if so how? (the normal ticket has been raised but the response is
> watery so far and passed to BT or lost in a support loop for weeks
> now).

There's no money in providing ADSL and interacting with BT Wholesale is
a painfully slow and time consuming business so most ISPs will not
provide great support here. Also ISPs are stuck between customers who
insist that "nothing has changed" when in fact they've plugged more kit
onto their phone line and BT who insist it's always the end-user's
fault. Weeks without an update is a bit rubbish though.

Also whilst talking about MAX, John Hunt said he only got 512kb/s out of
his MAX line. This is entirely possible to begin with or if you have
any issues syncing as a low sync quickly brings down the average sync
rate. See http://www.aaisp.net.uk/maxmagic.html for more info on how
MAX works and the difference between sync rates and the data rate.

My best guess though would be that your friend's line is marginal for
MAX and that downgrading is sane.

Simon.

--
* "A mess, eh?" - Morgan   "Feels like home..." - Mulder (Piper     *

| Maru)                                                             |

           Brought to you by the letter I and the number 20