Re: [Hampshire] [Games] Any Transgaming/Cedega Users Out The…

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Games] Any Transgaming/Cedega Users Out There?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5819f100.hantslug.org.uk.11561': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Apr 30 22:25:23 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
Sean Gibbins wrote:
[snip]

> Anyway, to cut this drivel short, I don't want to burn my bridges
> completely as far as gaming is concerned and wondered if Cedega is worth
> the £36 a year they are charging for it? Does it off-set the effort
> touched upon above? Is the performance equal to running native under
> Windows? How long does it take on average for new games to get support?
> If you can answer any of these questions or provide any input for that
> matter I'd be glad to hear it. Apart from 'Grow up and get a life!',
> that is...

I'm a Cedega user and have been for over 2 years now. The only game I
actually play is Counter-Strike Source to be honest so I can't comment
on support for other games.

I've found the performance to be excellent under Cedega, compared to
running it native. My FPS when running CS:S under Cedega was better than
when I ran it under Windows.

Recently Valve changed Steam (the game content delivery program) which
stuffed the GUI up when running it with Cedega, so you have to guess
where tick boxes are. I've just recently got myself a new workstation
(Intel Core 2 Duo 6400, 2Gb RAM, 2x 250Gb STATA II in RAID-1, NVIDIA
7950 GT) and I will admit to installing Vista on it because I wanted to
try more games that Cedega doesn't currently support at all or support
very well.

One such game that doesn't work very well is Call of Duty 2. Punkbuster,
the anti-cheat mechanism they use for multiplayer doesn't play well with
Cedega and when I last tried it at least, kept kicking me off servers
claiming I'd h4x3d my Windows DLLs. m4d skillz ;-)

I'll probably continue to subscribe to Cedega because I like the choice
of using either OS and my subscription money is going towards the
development of open source software to give others a choice too :-)

Regards,
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden