Re: [Hampshire] Random shutdowns (Ubuntu 7.04)

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Random shutdowns (Ubuntu 7.04)
Hugo wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:22:44PM +0100, Vic wrote:
>> > I'm suffering an apparently random shutdown
>>
>> Temperature. It always is...
>>
>> Take the cooler off your CPU & check the thermal grease. If there's
>> anything there (there might not be!), it's probably dry and cracked; it
>> doesn't work in this state.
>>
>> Clean off the CPU and the cooler base & re-apply vast gobs of fresh
>> paste.
>
>    "vast gobs" is probably not what you want. I'd go for "a thin
> layer, spread evenly to ensure that there are no bubbles".

As it's warm and will get warmer this summer...I'll add...

Indeed, it is a common misconception that more thermal grease is good. The
thin layer ensures good clean contact and if grease has made contact
between the cpu base, that is the section below the proud shiny square -
in most cases then the heat transfer equation (I don't know it, Fourier or
Newton) goes potty - the heat from the shiny area is 're-conducted' back
to the base (often green or brown silicon) through the vast amounts of
goo, keeping the heat in circulation back to the proud shiny top of the
CPU, so in other words it's like adding a little pipe insulation.

Damian B
--
Damian Brasher
www.interlinux.co.uk