[Hampshire] Teach-In

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Teach-In

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5813a100.hantslug.org.uk.19262': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jun 3 12:52:27 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

Yesterday was a BBC/London.pm teach-in at the BBC Broadcase centre in
London[1]. Annoyingly it clashed with the LUG meeting which I therefore
missed. Anyhow it was an excellent day with a series of Perl focused talks
running from 10am to 4pm in a single session with morning and afternoon
tea/coffee and a light lunch.

I think it was a low-key event that our LUG could easily do. All we need is a
normal LUG meeting, a few extra speakers and or volunteers prepared to give
several talks, a bit of cross LUG advertising and a small sponsor.

I think our meetings are brilliant and I must thank the organisers and
speakers because we have already is so good. However with a little more
advertising and sponsorship (The BBC provided food and some t-shirts) we
could stage one event per annum that is a bit bigger than normal. I'm not
talking about a glitzy multi-session extravaganza, but taking a normal LUG
meeting (winter ones are more popular I think), with more talks (I volunteer
to give one or two), and some free tea/coffee/t-shirts (or whatever).

I know a few people on this list work for companies that are heavily involved
in the open-source businesses. I'm not talking OSCON, I'm just thinking a
tea/coffee, a few T-shirts or pens - they may even enjoy themselves or
recruit new staff.

By the way at the BBC the talk was only audio recorded I think, so our video
talks are already pretty advanced.

By the way there is a teach-in/Hack day thing coming up at Alexandra Palace
this month[2].

[1] http://london.pm.org/teach-in/
[2] http://hackday.org/

Is anyone interested? or does it sound like too much effort (herding
recalcitrant cats) or distorting what we have?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"We must get users past their misunderstandings of uptime. A reboot
doesn't mean that anything broke, there is no hardware or software
corrective action taken, so there wasn't any real downtime."
-- overheard in an MS strategy meeting