Re: [Hampshire] Teach-In

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Teach-In

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Adam Trickett wrote:

> Yesterday was a BBC/London.pm teach-in at the BBC Broadcase centre in
> London[1]. Annoyingly it clashed with the LUG meeting which I therefore
> missed. Anyhow it was an excellent day with a series of Perl focused talks

I didn't even know that was happening, it sounds interesting and I'm sorry
I missed it, but I'd have probably gone to the LUG meeting anyway given
the clash.

> I'm not talking about a glitzy multi-session extravaganza, but taking a
> normal LUG meeting (winter ones are more popular I think), with more
> talks (I volunteer to give one or two), and some free
> tea/coffee/t-shirts (or whatever).

Jamies did provide free tea/coffee at the meeting yesterday which for
those people who drink the stuff was I'm sure very welcome. Personally
though from an event organiser PoV I can't see much reason or advantage in
giving away things like pens & t-shirts unless you have a product to
advertise.

> Is anyone interested? or does it sound like too much effort (herding
> recalcitrant cats) or distorting what we have?

I've just written and deleted a long rant about how difficult it is to get
volunteers to do almost anything at a LUG meeting let alone organise an
event like this. However I decided on re-reading that it was probably
overly negative and not particularly constructive.

So instead I'll just say that while I'm sure such an event is possible, I
think it would be a lot of work, probably mostly done by one or two
people. I'm not sure we currently have a venue available to us that is
suitable for it and while I personally might be quite interested in such
an event I'm not sure it is the sort of thing most of the LUG meeting
attendees want.

All IMO of course and if you think that is negative you should have seen
the email I deleted :)

Andy