[Hampshire] [OT] Freeview box suggestions

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Freeview box suggestions
Hi all

I'm thinking of buying a freeview box (with HDD) but need a techie question answered - wondered whether any of you have any experience...

My main consideration (as I already have Sky+) is to record from the radio. There seem to be huge amount of programmes that I'd like to listen to but never get the chance and they're only on "listen again" for a while - and even less often are they podcastable. What I want is a box which allows recording from the radio for up to 7 days ahead.

To some extent you can do this with Sky but they don't have programme details for radio channels so you have to set the recorder in the same way as we used to set video recorders in days gone by (start time, channel, stop time etc).

I know that there are bits of software that can do this for me (though not seen any for Linux funnily enough) - but I'd prefer not to leave a machine on all the time.

As you might guess, the thing I'm keen on avoiding is buying a freeview PVR that has a 7 day EPG that works only for TV and not for radio.

Cheers
Rob