Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Freeview box suggestions

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Freeview box suggestions
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 05:47:45PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm thinking of buying a freeview box (with HDD) but need a techie

question answered - wondered whether any of you have any experience...

Humax 9200T is the current model which I have. They have a new one coming
out in 3 days called the 9200T/B (which is black) and 9200T/S which is
silver. The new ones are identical in every way to the 9200T but have new
firmware to comply with the new Freeview Playback(tm) branding. That
firmware is to be made available to download on their website and will be an
Over The Air update in the next few weeks (or month) or so.

> My main consideration (as I already have Sky+) is to record from the

radio.   There seem to be huge amount of programmes that I'd like to listen
to but never get the chance and they're only on "listen again" for a while -
and even less often are they podcastable.   What I want is a box which
allows recording from the radio for up to 7 days ahead.

It can do that.

> To some extent you can do this with Sky but they don't have programme

details for radio channels so you have to set the recorder in the same way
as we used to set video recorders in days gone by (start time, channel, stop
time etc).

With the Hummy (as it is affectionately known) it's "point and click" as it
were.

> I know that there are bits of software that can do this for me (though not

seen any for Linux funnily enough) - but I'd prefer not to leave a machine
on all the time.

You will be leaving a PVR on all the time instead then ;) It has a fan and a
hard disk so makes some noise. I dont find it obtrusive myself, and ours is
at head height behind the sofa, not under the telly.

> As you might guess, the thing I'm keen on avoiding is buying a freeview

PVR that has a 7 day EPG that works only for TV and not for radio.

The Hummy does both.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Al.