Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Freeview box suggestions

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Freeview box suggestions
On Thursday 07 Jun 2007, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm thinking of buying a freeview box (with HDD) but need a techie
> question answered - wondered whether any of you have any
> experience...
>
> My main consideration (as I already have Sky+) is to record from
> the radio. There seem to be huge amount of programmes that I'd
> like to listen to but never get the chance and they're only on
> "listen again" for a while - and even less often are they
> podcastable. What I want is a box which allows recording from the
> radio for up to 7 days ahead.
>
> To some extent you can do this with Sky but they don't have
> programme details for radio channels so you have to set the
> recorder in the same way as we used to set video recorders in days
> gone by (start time, channel, stop time etc).
>
> I know that there are bits of software that can do this for me
> (though not seen any for Linux funnily enough) - but I'd prefer not
> to leave a machine on all the time.
>
> As you might guess, the thing I'm keen on avoiding is buying a
> freeview PVR that has a 7 day EPG that works only for TV and not
> for radio.
>
> Cheers
> Rob

No hesitation at all in recommending a Topfield TF5800 PVR. It's a bit
more expensive than some but it's DEFINITELY the one to have if you
like the Linux way of doing things because of what they call TAP's.
These are small extension programs developed by users and available
free (except one or two which ask for donations) from
www.toppy.org.uk - have a look.

By installing the ones you want you can adjust just about everything
about the PVR and the development tools are free too if you want to
help with the work. I use a Windows laptop to upload TAP's to the
Toppy (via USB) but I think there is a Linux package to do it too.

We bought our Toppy after 'upgrading' to one which was great in every
way except that the EPG interface was rubbish (to our eyes). With the
Toppy you just choose the TAP which gives you the EPG the way you
like it (we use MyStuff).

HTH, Peter