Re: [Hampshire] Fedora 7 Review

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fedora 7 Review
** john lewis <johnlewis@???> [2007-06-05 22:20]:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:47:07 +0100
> Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:
> > Stephen Davies wrote:
> > > Fedora 7 became available on the 31st May so for the Debian &
> > > Ubuntu affictionados in the LUG here are some of my thoughts
> > > about the latest & greatest release.
> >
> > Surely the Fedora fans are more likely to find your review useful
> > than people who don't use the distro in question?
>
> He is trying to convert the U**** users, he knows it is a waste of
> time with us diehard Debianites

I really wish I could get my head around whether I'm a die hard
Debianite or a fledgling Ubuntu user at the moment. There's a lot to
like about Ubuntu, although every time I decide to give it another bash
it trips me up. Of course it doesn't help that the two machines I've
tried it on so far have both been a few years old and both rely on
wireless networking on a network that uses WPA not WEP (as far as I can
see it still doesn't do WPA out of the box in, erm, 7.04 - I can't
remember the 'name' for it!).

My latest attempt with a newly burned 7.04 CD fails with:

on the screen, followed by 10 repeats of:

User nto known to the underlying authentication module

and if I switch to ctrl-alt-F8 I find:

* Checking battery state [OK]
* Runnig boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]

I've not investigated further yet, but my Xubuntu CD worked fine.

There's still something holding me back, and the only thing I can think
of os that the [X,K,Ed]Ubuntu project all feel as though they will
inevitably be lacking something that pure Ubuntu requires and depends on
Gnome. Although I'm happier with Gnome that KDE (shudder) I'd still
prefer to stick with XFCE, and most of the twidly bits that people like
about Ubuntu seem to be Gnome tools that I generally can't find when I
look around Xubuntu - although to be fair I've not had much success
finding some of the apps refernced in the WPA stuff even when in Ubuntu.

I really must find some time to sit down and have a real play with it
properly!

> speaking personally my experiences with using RH up to ver 5.2 has
> permanently affected my attitude to anything from that stable -
> I hates 'em :-)

I wouldn't go as far as hates, but I was thankful I'd jumped ship before
the abandoned the non-corporate user and went all Enterprise. The
Fedora project has always, to me, felt like a bit of an after thought to
keep the enthusiasts happy, but the small business that was running Red
Hat (i.e. a good chunk of my customer base) has been left out in the
cold. I personally don't see Fedora as anything that should be used
commercially as it is the proving ground for Red Hat, and therefore more
bleeding edge. I wouldn't stand a chance selling Red Hat to my customer
base since it would price out higher than Windows given the need to pay
a subscription to keep it updated. If your subscription ends then you
scrap your machine since although you can use it as is, you can't get
security updates (supplied free by MS) and even if you want to add
something at a level from when your subscription was still valid, you
can't.
** end quote [john lewis]

Of course all the above is personal oppinion, and that's what makes
Linux great - everyones personal opinion is different, hence it heads
off in all sorts of different directions and its overall direction
rushes around like a headless chicken - only kidding ;)

--
Paul Tansom