Re: [Hampshire] Power Failure

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Power Failure
Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:

> Any advance on "motherboard capacitor failure"?

I had a machine which I assumed to be power on after AC, I put the plug
in, switched the on button on the PSU, the fans flickered then nothing.
Had I'd know I would have pushed the power button on the front of the
case. The button was hidden by a strange sliding shutter and it was an
unfamiliar case. (Couple of hours of woe)

The same used to happen with SLOT 1 type Intel CPU's on occasion when the
MB was disturbed then the CUP needed re-seating. Re-seating RAM sometimes
helped too.

Make sure there are no loose nuts or bolts on, or under, the MB, they can
be wedged in between components too and trip, if not damage, the PSU and
or MB.

>As part of the exercise, I put the disk from the dead computer (W/XP) into
>another machine. It won't boot. However, my old copy of Knoppix (3.3) talks
>to it quite happily, so everything is recoverable.

This is a very flexible feature of Linux - the ability to boot without
lengthy IDE driver updates in may cases.

Damian

--
Damian Brasher
www.interlinux.co.uk