Re: [Hampshire] [OT] IPCop replacement ... comments?

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] IPCop replacement ... comments?
* Victor Churchill (victorchurchill@???) wrote:

> Therefore looking to replace the IPCop, hub and wireless AP with the
> Freecom box.
> Wondered if anybody had any experience of this item in such an arrangement?

I always thought that it was not a good idea to have the firewall on
the same machine as your other services. Maybe things have changed,
but in the past when people have suggested adding mailservers, file
storage etc to a firewall machine, the normal response was not to do
it.

As I understand it, the reason is if you keep the firewall machine
to doing just one task, it is going to be easier to make sure it
stays secure.

Personally, I would probably take the risk to avoid having to run
extra machines.

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk