Re: [Hampshire] CentOS 5 vs RHEL 5 vs WBEL

Author: Jon Fautley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CentOS 5 vs RHEL 5 vs WBEL
Steve Kirk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to use linux (and Solaris) quite extensively in my previous job
> however in my current role, it's pretty much all Windows (with the
> exception of our SAN, wich DOES run on Linux :-)) so I'm getting a
> little concerned about my linux skills getting rusty, particularly with
> RHEL.
>
> I'd also like to get something to prove that I do have a reasonable
> amount of linux knowledge, and as I used to work with RHEL quite a lot,
> I'm interested in doing the RHCE. I've tried the assessment tests
> available on www.redhat.com and done surprisingly well! :-)

Well done!

CentOS and WBEL are pretty near-identical to RHEL. However, the update
mechanisms are different vs. RHN in RHEL for obvious reasons. You should
be OK using these to brush up with, but you might want to get yourself
an eval of RHEL5 just to see what you'll be using on the exam/course.
Evals should be available from redhat.com.

Good Luck, and give me a shout if you end up doing it in Farnborough :)

Cheers,

/j
--
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCX <jfautley@???> direct: +44 1252 362815
Technical Account Manager                    office: +44 1252 362700