Re: [Hampshire] Linux CCTV

Author: John Cooper
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux CCTV
Damian Brasher wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can help me speed up this mini project:
>
> I have purchased an outside mono chrome motion activated camera - from
> Wickes for about £35 and mounted it in a suitable place. It has a scart
> socket; the video out. I want to capture the video into an 'S' video
> socket located on a old Nvidia graphics card, GF MX400 running Linux. Then
> feed the images captured every two seconds to a remote server using scp.
> Then a website on the remote server will display an image updated every
> two seconds and archive the images for reference. It is hoped the images
> will only be about 10-20K or less - high quality is not an issue.
>
> Questions are:
>
> How to convert scart to 'S' video?
> The simplest way to capture an image every two seconds via the graphics
> card using a bash script?
>
> TIA
>
> Damian

I use Zoneminder with two wireless CCTVs. You can get a cheap bt878
codec card ~£15 (Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
Audio Capture) and the scart in/out conversion box from ebay. ZM motion
detection is superb and together with its filters can reduce the disk
usage to a minimum.

I normally compile zoneminder from source but have just found that
Fedora 7 yum repos have it now. My problem is the cheap cards work well
but the image quality is poor and I can't find a better quality card
that runs on Linux (I did get a 100fps from China ~£50 but it completely
locks up the pc after several minutes running ZM).

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk