Re: [Hampshire] Debian Slug

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Slug

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e96100.hantslug.org.uk.15099': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 13 22:20:20 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Friday 13 July 2007 21:42, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Yep my Linksys NSLU2 arrived in the post today and was transformed into
> a beautiful Debian Slug!
>
> If, unlike me, you possess a memory, you may recall that I flogged the
> 2GHz machine I was using as a Web/file/print server on the list
> recently, as it was simply overkill for the little bit of work that was
> going through it. Living as it was in an unventilated room under the
> stairs, it was not only wasted, but generated far too much heat for
> comfort.

This is something I've been thinking about for some time. I currently have an
antique Compaq desktop unit as a home server, and I need to replace it with
something with more disk space and something that's quieter. Does it have
enough grunt to serve as:

Fetcmail/Dovecot-IMAP
Web server
DNS/DHCP server
NFS Server

The alternative is to get/build a box based on a low-power notebook CPU
system.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Do not assume the other fellow has intelligence to match yours.
He may have more.
    -- Terry Thomas