Re: [Hampshire] How to tell how much memory?

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to tell how much memory?
On 14/07/07, Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
>    Since it's an amd64 (x86_64) kernel, the memory model is always
> flat, and will cope with up to... umm... some very large quantity of
> RAM (2^44 bits worth, IIRC). There's no other memory models available.
> There's also no appreciable differences in the kernel-space/user-space
> split, since there's a huge address space to work in.

>    On x86, there's three memory models, giving approximately 1G, 4G
> and 64G of RAM respectively, plus (for the 4G model) several different
> ways of splitting the available address space up between kernel (which
> includes the PCI memory map space) and user-space. However, that
> doesn't apply in this instance.

>    It could conceivably be a problem with the PCI address space being
> mapped in below the 1G boundary, which can potentially remove a large
> chunk of RAM from use if the motherboard isn't all that clever. I
> would check for BIOS settings with words like "memory hole", and see
> what changing those do.

Interesting, thank you.

I shall shut it down and look in the BIOS and see if there are any
useful pointers there although I don't recall seeing any such before.
Possibly while I'm about it drop in another half-gig stick to help it
recover from what Nvidia are stealing from me ;-/

Meanwhile If I do try going for a 32-bit install instead in the future
I shall have to bear this kernel config issue in mind (if the little
gry cells remember...)

thanks again,

victor