Re: [Hampshire] Sempron or Celeron

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sempron or Celeron

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57417100.hantslug.org.uk.11115': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jul 19 14:35:53 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 at 01:57:09PM +0100, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering upgrading out home laptop with a cheap Dell. The
> choice is either a Sempron Mobile 3500, or a Celeron M 520?

I've been in the same position for ever, at the moment I don't
need a laptop enough to warrant actually buying one.

> It will mainly be used for word processing etc, email & web. However
> my Desktop has an Athlon Xp, and I am constantly suprised that the
> amount of software that requires an Intel CPU to run.

You are kidding aren't you? I've never yet seen any software that
actually needed an Intel CPU rather than an equivalent AMD. I've
seen software that requires a specific generation of processor
or features, but not one brand of x86 over another one.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon