Re: [Hampshire] Sempron or Celeron

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sempron or Celeron
David Bell wrote:

> AMD and Intel CPUs support the same basic x86 instruction set. The
> 64-bit versions support the same AMD64/EMT64 instruction set. Software
> written for Intel processors work on AMD processors. There are a few
> extensions that not all processors support but these are rare and you
> generally do not have to worry about support or lack of support for them.
>
> In short, software which requires an Intel CPU will work on an AMD CPU.

I have just moved from Athlon X2 to Intel dual-core on my desktop and
note that the Intel setup is cooler, quieter and more powerful than its
AMD predecessor, which is fair enough given that it is newer technology
Isuppose.

I have no idea what parallels can be drawn with the chips you are
comparing, if any, but if a similar situation does exist where your
laptop purchase is concerned then cool and quiet are worth a lot,
regardless of extra oomph, IMO. If you can get the extra muscle too,
then you are on to a winner.

Sean