Re: [Hampshire] Sempron or Celeron

Author: Chris Aitken
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sempron or Celeron
> The Celeron M 520 is probably the better choice. It is a 65nm 1.6Ghz
> Core 2 Duo with half the L2 cache of the Mermon-core Core 2 Duo. The
> Core 2 processors out perform AMD processors right now, AMD is a
> non-starter, especially for laptops.
>
> I think I'm right in saying the Sempron is single core where as the
> Celeron M 520 is a dual-core processor. The Turion 64 X2's are AMD's
> mobile dual-core processor range.
> You probably do not need the extra performance of a full Core 2 Duo or
> Athlon 64 X2. If you did, go for the T2080.

Thanks for the info Dave. The Celeron M is single core. So the toss-up
is between the single core 64 bit Celeron, or the Dual Core 32bit
T2080. Both have the same L2 cache and the same FSB - only difference
is the multiplier.
So what are the real world benefits of dual core over single - when
the dual is 32bit & the single 64? (We're also talking XP Home here -
as Vista seems to have issues...)

Chris