Re: [Hampshire] Debian Slug

Author: David Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Slug
sean@??? wrote:
> Happy to oblige. The NSLU2 had some quite good functionality out of the box, but not nearly so much as it does now that it is running Debian 4! Depends on what you are after I guess... no point in risking a bricking if all you need is NAS eh?

I was considering purchasing an NSLU2 to act as an adsl router. At the
moment I have an awful Origo router which whilst stable tends to give
all the bandwidth on the ADSL line to one connection and none to other
attempts from even the same machine! I am under the restriction that I
can't run a PC or old PC under the stairs as a router and I really would
like a software router, not a cheap hardware router that falls over.

My plan is: Speedtouch 330 USB + External USB2 disk + Linksys NSLU2 =
silent router and small NAS. My question is, does anybody have
experience with doing this and is the NSLU2 beefy enough to handle
(fairly-light) web traffic as a router with Debian 4 on the top? What
are your general findings regarding its use?

Cheers,

Dave