[Hampshire] LVM, partitions and growing filesystems

Top Page
Author: James Ettle
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] LVM, partitions and growing filesystems

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x571fa100.hantslug.org.uk.15171': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jul 21 16:44:54 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
Hello,

Anyone good with LVM and partitioning? I've currently got three
partitions on my 60GB disc (dual-boot Windows XP and Fedora 7):

 - sda1: 20GB, NTFS
 - sda2: 100MB, /boot
 - sda3: in LVM VolGroup00, which contains
    - LogVol01: 1GB swap
    - LogVol00: ext3 mounted on /, taking up the rest.

I'd like to shrink sda1 to 12GB and add the extra 8GB to /. As such,
what I'm thinking of doing is:

1. shrinking the NT partition;
2. adding a new partition in between sda1 and sda2;
3. initialising this as an LVM entity and adding it to VolGroup00;
4. growing LogVol00 to use the extra space; and
5. enlarging /'s ext3 system as necessary.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? In particular,

- will adding the new partition result in the partition labels changing
(i.e., can I add sda4 between sda1 and sda2) and are there any
possible problems with this (e.g., reconfiguring GRUB)?
- anyone had any trouble growing an ext3 system while it was on-line
on a modern kernel?

Many thanks,
James.

--