Re: [Hampshire] LVM, partitions and growing filesystems

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: jhe, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LVM, partitions and growing filesystems
James Ettle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anyone good with LVM and partitioning? I've currently got three
> partitions on my 60GB disc (dual-boot Windows XP and Fedora 7):
>
>  - sda1: 20GB, NTFS
>  - sda2: 100MB, /boot
>  - sda3: in LVM VolGroup00, which contains
>     - LogVol01: 1GB swap
>     - LogVol00: ext3 mounted on /, taking up the rest.

> I'd like to shrink sda1 to 12GB and add the extra 8GB to /. As such,
> what I'm thinking of doing is:
>
> 1. shrinking the NT partition;
> 2. adding a new partition in between sda1 and sda2;
> 3. initialising this as an LVM entity and adding it to VolGroup00;
> 4. growing LogVol00 to use the extra space; and
> 5. enlarging /'s ext3 system as necessary.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hi James,

Not nearly as much fun, but definitely safer: have you given any thought
to simply buying a new disk and adding space that way?

I appreciate that there may be constraints that get in the way of this -
financial, heat, space, etc. - but given that you can pick up a new,
quality 80Gb HDD for under £30 locally, I'd have thought it's got to be
a lot less scary than what you are suggesting.

I recently re-purposed a 60GB WinXP Pro partition (rather than
shrinking it) in a setup similar to yours, created a separate volume
group and divvying it up into logical volumes without any trouble,
although obviously I didn't have to worry about 'inserting' a partition.

Just out of interest, what are you running on XP? You could do what I
did and install VMWare Server to run the odd legacy Windows app,
although you need some memory and CPU to spare if you want to do that.

Sean