Re: [Hampshire] Box repair question

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Box repair question
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:22:47 +0100, xendistar@??? said:

> I was thinking
> about purchasing 2 or 3 little 25mm round fans and mounting them on the
> rear panel. Now I am not to sure if a) there is sufficent power to run
> three fans or how to wire them up? Any thoughts or suggestions?

One big fan is quieter and more efficient that multiple little fans. One
of the problems that the latter solution creates is recirculation, where
air pushed out by one fan leaks back through the gap between fans (path of
least resistance). This is similar to the misguided idea that separating
1U servers in a rack with 1U gaps aids cooling. It does, so long as you
fit blanking plates in the empty spaces. Otherwise the hot air from the
back of the servers is simply recirculated to the front.

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |       http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk      |