Re: [Hampshire] Box repair question

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Box repair question
Tim wrote:
> I have a small shuttle like mini ATX box. To aid with keeping the box cool it
> has a cylindrical fan on the rear of the box. Unfortunately this fan has a
> habit of ceasing up mainly because it a bush mount in a rubber grommet and
> the motor bush at the other end as opposed to mounting the fan in bearing.
> These bushes get filled with grime and in the end the resistance to turn the
> cylinder is to great for the little motor and the box tempeture rises.
>
> This has happen around 3 time now (over 24 months) and I have fortunately been
> around when it has happened. The repair is simple, remove the fan from box (a
> dozen small screws) disassemble fan, clean, reassemble, 30 minutes tops. As
> this is a design fault there no chance pursuing a new fan, so I was thinking
> about purchasing 2 or 3 little 25mm round fans and mounting them on the rear
> panel. Now I am not to sure if a) there is sufficent power to run three fans
> or how to wire them up? Any thoughts or suggestions? (apart from buy a new
> box).

How about a new fan? There must be something here* that fits, either
properly or with a little modification:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/casefans

I appreciate none of them are cylindrical, but might be able to mount
one externally with self-tapping screws or something - I believe that is
how some people put 120mm fans on (as opposed to in!) Shuttles. The
Sudhian forums might turn up something interesting:

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/94713/

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/92193/

Sean