Re: [Hampshire] Software Freedom Day - Sat 15th '07 - Hantsl…

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Software Freedom Day - Sat 15th '07 - Hantslug Team?
On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:50:23AM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> Could we get a stand in the shopping centre perhaps? Alan, maybe the contact
> I gave you at Bracknell council could help? I'll contact her and see what
> she says.

Ok, contact at Bracknell says we can have a stand either inside or outside
the shopping centre. We will have power at either location so can run a few
laptops to demo stuff. They will also supply a table and a couple of chairs,
we just need a nice cloth/sheet or something to make it look less rubbish.

Further good news is that there is a fashion show upstairs in the centre
that day so it should be absolutely rammed (as she put it). I have reserved
it for now, and we will need to confirm around two weeks before hand whether
we want to go ahead.

Bad news is that we need to pay. It's 200 quid for the spot which is what
they charge commercially. I will ask around and see if I can get some
sponsorship, I'll let you know about this.

I'll see if I can get more detail about the location in the centre and the
size of "plot" we can have. If I get a chance I'll pop over there with a
camera to do a recce.

Promotion will of course be important. Can we advertise the "event" in local
free paper, and maybe other periodicals? Ideas welcome.

I would also like for us to prepare our message, what are our goals, what do
we want to get across. This is after all not a LUG event, or a particular
distro event, hell it's not even a Linux event, it's a Free Software Day. So
we need to be mindful of what we tell people and be "on message" where we
can. This is of course detail that we can sort nearer the time, but it pays
for us to at least be thinking about it.

Cheers,
Al.