Re: [Hampshire] Corrupt files over bittorrent

Author: Allen Brooker
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Corrupt files over bittorrent
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Has anybody had any problems downloading files via BitTorrent? I've
> downloaded a couple of isos and neither are coming up with the right
> md5sums. I'm not sure how common corrupt files are over torrent - so
> if I've just been unlucky - then fine - but otherwise I think I might
> either download via ftp or buy the disk (Slackware 11).
>
> Cheers
> Rob

With most good clients, it's impossible to have corrupt files. As part
of the protocol, bittorrent includes sumchecking for individual chunks
(and subsequently whole files). If you can download the same file twice
and get the same wrong checksum, then that usually means your source is
shipping corrupt (or atleast incorrect) files and you should report it.

AllenJB