Re: [Hampshire] OT: co-location

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: co-location

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56afb100.hantslug.org.uk.31563': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Aug 2 18:03:37 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:46:30AM +0100, Tom Sykes wrote:
> I've been with BlackCat Networks for 2 years now, and they've been
> excellent (despite the price increase last year). As some of you
> presumably know, they've sold up and are moving operations to RapidSwitch.

lug.org.uk are colo customers of BCN also so I know what you're
going through. :(

> I'm finding dealing with RapidSwitch tiresome already, and their service
> offering for my needs is hideously overpriced. Does anyone have any
> experience with RapidSwitch and or their sister company 49pence (their
> low cost offering)? What other co-lo providers can be recommended?
>
> Finally, can anyone suggest where I might be able to find a new 1U
> server. I'm not looking for anything fancy, as it's only going to be
> hosting web/mail for a relatively small number of domains, but
> obviously, reliability is a must.

If that is all it does then a virtual server would be adequate and
much more cost effective. I am not just saying this because it's
something I happen to sell. :) Bytemark are great for this and I
hear that Mythic Beasts will be taking over BCN's hosting stuff (so
presumably their virtual server offering too?) Do you really want
the hassle of owning and maintaining your own hardware just for
that?

Basically for your use case I wouldn't recommend colo at all,
especially not in London. If you must have sole use of hardware
then I hear the cheap dedicated servers of 1and1.co.uk (actually
located in Germany) are good value.

If you really want colo in London (money to burn?) then I've heard
people are happy with goscomb.net. Personally I use
http://www.jump.net.uk/ but they are pretty much full now and if I
was doing it over again I would most likely do it with someone at
BlueSquare in Maidenhead (like RapidSwitch but maybe not
RapidSwitch!)

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.